I am a textile artist who creates both wearable art and fine art. My work explores color, fluid lines, and texture through the luminosity of hand-dy"ed silk and the richness of hand-felted merino wool.
Informed by pathways, patterns and spaces in the natural world and the human body, the designs I create invoke constellations, tributaries, desiccated leaves, bones, and furrows. I am fascinated by the inherent beauty in the way things fall apart and morph into organic forms with increasing abstraction.
Featuring French dyes on silk, my screen process transforms an original image into multiple prints. Working in a series leads to a sense of lyrical movement with multiple variations. My process is contemplative, improvisational and intuitive, allowing for elements of surprise.
Created with ancient hand-crafted techniques, my nuno-felted scarves are collages of merino wool with hand-dyed silk or specialty yarns and fibers. The alchemy of materials produces a scarf greater than the sum of its parts-at once luxurious and soft against the skin.
Commissions are welcome.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the photographs are color balanced but may vary depending on the computer screen.
Juried Shows and Exhibitions
Ann Arbor Fiber Arts Guild
- "Art in the House," Capital Building, curated by River Gallery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2011
- "The Primacy of Water Photography," curated by River Gallery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2011
- "From Tradition to Innovation," curated by River Gallery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2010
- "Art in the House", Capital Building, Rep. Pam Byrnes' office, curated by River Gallery, Lansing, MI, 2010
- "Knock on Wood", River Gallery, Chelsea, MI, 2010
- Ann Arbor Library, Ann Arbor Fiber Arts Guild, Ann Arbor, 2010
- Ann Arbor Fiber Arts Guild Power Center Show; Ann Arbor, MI, 2006-2010; 2003-2004
- "Creative Paths in Fiber", Ann Arbor Fiber Arts Guild, Riverside Arts Center Gallery; Ypsilanti, MI, 2009
- "Hydrology", Chelsea Arts Center, Chelsea, MI, 2009
- Michigan League of Handweavers 15th Biennial Fiber Show, Ella Sharp Museum;
Jackson, MI, 2008
- Members Only Exhibition, Ann Arbor Arts Center; Ann Arbor, MI, 2007
- "Convergence: Fiber Art: Cutting Edge"; Grand Rapids, MI, 2006
- "Exploring Australia", Michigan Quilt Artist Invitational; Toured MI, 2006-07
- "A Celebration of Renewal", The Kellogg Foundation; Battle Creek, MI, 2005
- Fiber Arts Exhibition, FORMA Fine Crafts; Ann Arbor, MI, 2005
- Solo Show, The Pierpont Commons, University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI, 2005
- "Shibori: Traditional to Contemporary", Oberlin College; Oberlin, OH, 2005
- "2005 Jackson Area Show", Ella Sharp Museum; Jackson, MI, 2005
- Solo Show, Gifts of Art, Cancer Center, University of Michigan Hospital; Ann Arbor, MI, 2004
- "New Fibers 2004", Michigan League of Handweavers, Michigan State University; Traveling Show, 2004-2006, Award: Second Place, Functional Arts
- "Sacred Images: Buddhist and Christian", The Scarab Club; Detroit, MI, 2004
- Fiber Feast Fashion Show, Ann Arbor Fiber Arts Guild; Ann Arbor, MI, 2003-2007, 2010
- Quilting-by-the-Lake: Morrisville, N.Y., 2002
- American Quilt Society Fashion Show; Paducah, KY, 2002
Ann Arbor Women Artists
Fiber Arts Network (FAN)
Surface Design Association
Michigan Surface Design
Work in Publications
Fascination with Fiber: Michigan Handweaving Heritage
, Marie Giles and Marian Marzoff, The University of Michigan Press, 2006